Zero Emissions Byron (ZEB) aims to transition the Byron Shire region to zero emissions by 2025, working through the sectors of Energy, Buildings, Transport, Land Use and Waste. ZEB aims to reduce the impacts of climate change and develop new economic opportunities by inspiring and working with Council and the community.
ZEB acts as an umbrella group managing the carbon budget for the region, with three main roles:
- Calculate and monitor emissions and their abatement
- Develop an emissions mitigation strategy and plans
- Facilitate emissions abatement
ZEB’s Vision is to achieve ‘Net Zero Emissions’ within the Byron Shire region by 2025.
ZEB’s Mission is to implement zero emissions strategies by inspiring and working with the community.
ZEB has four key goals:
- Develop and implement a concise and financially rigorous GHG abatement plan, championed by ZEB stakeholders, to achieve the ZEB Vision and Mission.
- Engage the community and ZEB stakeholders in the implementation and planning of emissions reduction, and enable broad ownership of the program.
- Assist in positive development and resilience of our region, through new ecologically sustainable projects and jobs and the continued promotion of the Byron Shire as the ‘Most Sustainable Tourist, Lifestyle and Work destination in Australia’.
- Contribute to the national abatement of climate change and its impacts, and support the development of robust climate policy at all levels of Government (Local, State and Federal).